By DANIEL HERATY
DEARBORN – A Ford Rouge Complex employee is being treated for burns at Oakwood Hospital and Medical Center after a faulty pipe joint sprayed him with steam the afternoon of Aug. 14.
Ford North America spokeswoman Marcy Evans said the incident happened in the plant’s paint shop when a valve used to regulate the flow of steam failed. The employee who received the most serious burns is still in recovery.
Minor injuries were suffered by three other workers. They were taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital where they were treated and released.
Officials from Ford North America and the Dearborn Fire Department declined to comment on the severity of the injuries.
Evans said the company is working to make sure there are no further mishaps in the future.
“Ford Motor Company is taking all the proper precautions and repairing the valve,” Evans said. “We are also making sure that all similar valves are being checked so there are no similar issues.”
(Daniel Heraty can be reached at [email protected].)