By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
LINCOLN PARK — A 25-year-old man awaits final charges for allegedly robbing the same fast-food restaurant three times in November and December.
A preliminary examination of evidence against Thomas Maurice Davis will continue next month in 25th District Court.
Davis was charged last month with armed robbery and weapons possession for allegedly robbing Taco Bell, 2306 Dix-Toledo, on Nov. 4.
Police said Davis entered the store about 7 p.m., pointed a shotgun at several employees, fired a round into the ceiling and took off with an undisclosed amount of cash. Police believe Davis had a bicycle nearby with which to make his getaway.
Tuesday’s exam will continue Feb. 12, and Davis is expected to be charged with subsequent robberies of the same Taco Bell on Nov. 28 and Dec. 10. A weapon was implied but not shown during the latter two robberies.
Davis lived less than a mile from the fast food store, and when police searched his residence in December they discovered evidence including a shell casing and a black sweatshirt said to have been worn during the robberies.
Based on his voice, size and clothing, store employees told investigators it was the same man who committed all three robberies. Davis allegedly wore a face mask and knit cap.
Davis remained in custody without bond pending next month’s examination and arraignment. Davis was also charged as a habitual offender, and prosecutors said he absconded from parole for a previous conviction.
(James Mitchell can be reached at [email protected])