By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
LINCOLN PARK — A man accused of robbing the same fast-food restaurant three times within two months last year will face multiple charges in Wayne County Circuit Court.
During a preliminary hearing Tuesday in 25th District Court, Judge David Zelenak denied bond for Thomas Maurice Davis, accused of three armed robberies of Taco Bell, 2306 Dix-Toledo. If found guilty, Davis may face stiffer penalties as a repeat offender: in January Davis was released from probation after being convicted of fleeing and eluding in 2011, and had previously been found guilty of assault in 2006.
According to police reports, Thomas entered Taco Bell about 7 p.m. Nov. 4, pointed a shotgun at several employees and demanded cash. Thomas allegedly shot a round into the ceiling before leaving with an undisclosed amount of cash. After leaving the store prosecutors said Thomas rode away on a bicycle.
Prosecutors said Davis was responsible for two additional robberies, on Nov. 28 and Dec. 10, when a man fitting his description entered the store wearing a face mask and knit cap, implied that he had a weapon, and left with cash.
Police followed a path from Taco Bell to Davis’ residence less than a mile away. Investigators obtained a search warrant and found in the home a shell casing and black sweatshirt that matched descriptions provided by employees and customers.
A preliminary examination of the evidence against him and arraignment on information from the prosecution is expected this month in circuit court.
(James Mitchell can be reached at [email protected].)