By BOB OLIVER
HEIGHTS — The teen charged with accidently shooting and killing an 11-year-old boy last year has been sentenced to at least two years in a secure juvenile facility.
The sentence was given by Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Karen Braxton last Monday.
The 15-year-old boy, who pled guilty to the charges of manslaughter — aimed weapon without malice — careless discharge of a firearm resulting in death and felony firearm earlier this month, will have a review date June 3 to see how he is adjusting to the facility, but Braxton said he should anticipate being in placement a minimum of two years before the court will consider returning him to the community.
The identity of the 15-year-old has not been released because the defendant is a minor and is being charged as a juvenile.
The shooting happened about 4:30 p.m. Nov. 24 in the 5600 block of Kingsbury when 11-year-old Jeremiah Davis reportedly was shot with a revolver by the 15-year-old.
After the shooting, Davis was taken to Children’s Hospital of Michigan in Detroit, where he was treated and initially listed in serious condition before dying two days later.
According to published reports, the teenager was playing with the weapon when it went off and struck Davis.
Davis’ father and father’s girlfriend were in the house at the time of the shooting, but neither was aware that the teenager had the handgun, which is believed to have been found in the teenager’s grandmother’s house.
The mother of the teenager dates Davis’ father and the child did not live at the Kingsbury residence, but stayed there periodically.
Detectives questioned and released the 15-year-old after the incident and and the information was sent to the Wayne County’s Prosecutor’s Office, but Wayne County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Communications Director Maria Miller said that no charges were announced until after the case information was thoroughly reviewed.
(Bob Oliver can be reached at [email protected])