Chance to win weekend lease of new Ford vehicle
DEARBORN — Henry Ford Community College’s student-run radio station WHFR-FM 89.3 will hold Radiothon Week 2014 April 6 to 12, with live concerts and on-air events scheduled, including the chance to win a weekend lease of a new Ford vehicle.
The week-long fundraiser offers the community a chance to show its support for programming on WHFR, which celebrates 29 years of broadcasting this year. Since WHFR does not receive any government funding, more than 60 percent of its operating budget comes from donations.
This year’s pledge drive has a theme – “Get on Board” – to help generate funds for two new broadcast consoles that WHFR needs to purchase to replace older, failing ones in its studios.
By pledging $30 or more, donors can enter into a drawing to win a weekend lease of a new Ford vehicle from Village Ford. To qualify, donors must be 21 or older and a licensed and insured driver. The drawing is May 31. The vehicle must be leased by June 30. Some restrictions apply.
In addition to the lease incentive, other incentives and prizes are:
• $30 pledge: WHFR baseball cap with embroidered logo or WHFR stress-relief globe.
• $52 pledge: WHFR stainless steel travel mug or USB 8 GB flash drive with WHFR logo.
• $125 pledge: Grill Master apron with WHFR logo, oven mitt and towel.
• $250 pledge: Land’s End jacket with embroidered WHFR logo or engraved brass leaf on WHFR’s Family Tree.
• $500 pledge: Dinner (up to four people) at HFCC’s 5101 Restaurant with a tour of the WHFR studios.
All first-time pledgers who donate $30 or more receive a free WHFR stress-relief globe.
This year’s live events start early with a WHFR Radiothon Kickoff Party and Benefit Concert from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. April 5 at New Place Lounge, 22723 Michigan Ave. Admission is $5 at the door.
The event is a special blues review featuring veteran Detroit artists, including a 0solo performance by Tino Gross of the Howling Diablos, and the Paul Carey Trio with vocalist Benny Reeves. Attendees must be 21 and older to attend. Food and beverages are available for purchase.
Other Radiothon 2014 concerts and event listings include:
• Live performances by the band Studio J all week long.
• “The New WHFR Journal Special Edition” from 1 to 2 p.m. April 11. Dearborn Mayor John O’Reilly Jr. will comment on his State of the City speech, the upcoming November election, as well as other city issues. People can email questions for the mayor to radio host Jay Korinek at [email protected]
• New Blues CD giveaways in addition to the WHFR incentive items on all blues shows throughout Radiothon Week 2014.
• WHFR CD and merchandise sales table from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. April 10 in the MacKenzie Fine Arts Center atrium, located on the main campus. Bins and bins of eclectic CDs – from mainstream to obscure – are available for a donation of $1 each. Open to the public.
• Special giveaways and promotions in addition to the WHFR incentive items on shows throughout Radiothon Week 2014.
To make a tax-deductible donation to WHFR, call 313-845-9676. Donations can be made via credit card or an official form with a postage-paid return envelope can be sent right to your home.
Additionally, donors can donate securely online at https://foundation.hfcc.edu. Once there, click on the WHFR Radio link on the left side of page and follow prompts for donations.
Radiothon Week 2014 is open to the public. For more information, contact Susan McGraw at 313-842-9842 or [email protected]