By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
SOUTHGATE – A video found on student cell phones was troubling to administrators but not, according to prosecutors, pornographic.
Director of Public Safety Thomas Coombs said the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office declined to press charges.
“Detectives took the video to the prosecutor’s office,” Coombs said. “They determined that it was not pornography.”
Administrators at Anderson High School were alerted to a cell phone video that had been recorded during a sleep-over the weekend of April 5, which included images of a 15-year-old student stripping. When the nude images were discovered on April 7, Supt. William Grusecki said administrators contacted police.
Police worked with school officials and confiscated 12 student cell phones that contained the video. The ninth-grade student filed a complaint with Southgate police, which opened an investigation to determine if criminal charges might be filed.
Coombs said police had not requested a warrant. The prosecutor’s office had asked to review the video, and last week determined that the images did not constitute pornography.
Police and school officials returned the cell phones to the students after ensuring the video was deleted.
(James Mitchell can be reached at [email protected])