By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
LINCOLN PARK – A 19-year-old Lincoln Park man accused of shooting a man in the neck waived his right to a preliminary exam in the city’s 25th District Court, and is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in Wayne County Circuit Court on felony attempted murder charges.
Tobias James Catron was bound over Aug. 11 and is expected to be charged with four felony counts including assault with intent to commit murder, punishable by up to life in prison.
Police and prosecutors said that Catron shot a 44-year-old Lincoln Park man – the father of an acquaintance of Catron’s – July 22 outside a house in the 1400 block of Mayflower Avenue.
The man was treated in a nearby hospital for non life-threatening injuries.
Catron allegedly fled the area after firing a single shot, and police and K-9 patrol units searched the area throughout the night.
Catron turned himself in to police the following day, and a police department spokeswoman said he cooperated with investigators and made available the handgun allegedly used.
Police said Catron admitted to the shooting but said it was in self-defense. Catron allegedly sent threatening text messages to the man’s daughter, which initiated the verbal confrontation.
Catron reportedly maintained his claim of self-defense last week before being bound over to circuit court by 25th District Judge Greg Clifton, who maintained that Catron remain in custody without bond.
A bond review is scheduled, according to Wayne County Circuit Court records.
In addition to assault with intent to murder, Catron was bound over on assault with intent to do great bodily harm, assault with a dangerous weapon and felony firearms possession.
(James Mitchell can be reached at [email protected].)