By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
LINCOLN PARK – Felony charges against a 19-year-old Lincoln Park man accused of shooting a man in the neck is scheduled to be heard before a jury next week.
Tobias James Catron is scheduled to be tried before Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Kevin J. Cox beginning Jan. 19, on four felony counts including assault with intent to murder.
Catron has been in custody since shortly after the July 22 incident in which he allegedly shot a 44-year-old Lincoln Park man – the father of an acquaintance of Catron’s – outside a house in the 1400 block of Mayflower Avenue.
Catron turned himself in to police the day after the shooting, and admitted to having fired the weapon that he made available to police. He told police he acted in self-defense.
Catron was charged in July with assault with intent to murder – punishable by up to life in prison – assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, assault with a dangerous weapon and felony firearms.
Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Maria Miller said a planned October trial had been postponed due to scheduling conflicts.
(James Mitchell can be reached at [email protected])