Second suspect surrenders to LP police
By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
LINCOLN PARK – Police today said one of two suspects in the kidnapping and sexual assault of a Lincoln Park woman turned himself in, and his alleged accomplice remained sought by investigators.
A police spokesperson said 19-year-old Fernando Anderson IV remained a person of interest – and was to be considered “armed and dangerous” – in the March 30 abduction and rape of a 23-year-old woman.
According to police reports, a woman had been parked at a downtown drug store when, about 9 p.m., two men pointed a gun at her and drove off. For about an hour they cruised neighborhoods – one driving while the other raped the woman – before letting her go.
The woman told police that one of the men, believed to be Anderson, had been required to be home by 10 p.m. for a court-ordered curfew. Anderson was described by the woman as wearing an electronic tether.
The woman was transported to a nearby hospital for examination and treatment.
A 22-year-old man turned himself in to Lincoln Park police about 8 p.m. Tuesday. A felony warrant was expected Wednesday. A photo of the man that had been captured by a convenience store security camera – where he’d stopped for cigarettes during the nearly hour-long alleged assault – had been widely publicized by local media.
“The Lincoln Park Police Department thanks the area media for their assistance,” a police spokesperson said Tuesday. “Almost immediately tips were coming in identifying the suspect in the convenience store snapshot.”
Anderson was described as about 6 feet tall, medium build with “hanging braids” and was last seen wearing a dark blue jacket and black jeans.
Anyone with information on these two men is asked to contact Lincoln Park police at 313-381-1800.
(James Mitchell can be reached at [email protected])