By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
LINCOLN PARK – Seven more structures in the city have been cleared for possible demolition by the Dangerous Buildings Board, and city officials will consider final approval during a public hearing this week.
The hearing – and expected demolition orders – marks the second time this year the city has addressed properties and structures that have fallen into disrepair or left unattended after vacancies.
City Manager Matt Coppler said it’s been several years since city officials addressed blight conditions through the Dangerous Buildings Board.
A public hearing will begin at 7 p.m. Aug. 15 to consider recommended demolitions of buildings in the 900 block of Garfield, the 1500 block of Morris, the 1900 block of Moran, the 900 block of White, the 800 block of Lincoln and two in the 1700 block of Garfield.
The structures had been approved for demolition last month by the panel, and tomorrow marks the final hearing for property owners to appeal the decision.
Last month city officials approved recommendations for five of seven buildings for demolition while postponing decisions on a garage and Fort Street building.
Coppler said removing blighted structures that pose a public hazard can play a significant role in the city’s long-range need to improve property values as it struggles to stabilize budgets and resources.
The hearing will be held during the regular City Council meeting in city hall, 1335 Southfield Road. For information contact city staff at 313-386-1800.
(James Mitchell can be reached at [email protected].)