By ZEINAB NAJM
DEARBORN — A gas leak caused the evacuation of 10 houses and closing of two businesses in the area of Ford Road and Steadman Nov. 1.
The leake was called in just before 3 p.m. after construction workers hit a gas line not shown on underground maps Fire Chief Joseph Murray said.
“No ignition source was nearby to cause further damage,” he said.
DTE Energy responded to the scene to turn off gas in the area while crews worked on the damaged and ruptured line.
No injuries were reported.
Affected businesses — Chase Bank, 14901 Ford Road, and Dountville U.S.A., 14829 Ford Road — were closed until the gas line was fixed.
Both reopened later that same day.
(Zeinab Najm can be reached at [email protected])