DEARBORN – Henry Ford Centennial Library will be closed to the public temporarily from May 20 through fall 2019 for a major renovation project.
In order to serve residents during the closure, library hours at both the Bryant and Esper branch libraries will be extended beginning June 1.
The extended branch hours will be 9:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday
It is preferred that library material be returned to the Bryant or Esper libraries, but the exterior drop box at HFCL will be open.
The city regrets the temporarily closure of HFCL, but the renovations are extensive and will result in an improved experience for all library patrons.
The project includes:
• The installation of a new energy-efficient heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system.
• The replacement of existing lights with energy-efficient lighting.
• The renovation of the second floor restrooms.
• The renovation of the east side of the mezzanine, which will include a conference room, several group study rooms, a makerspace, a computer lab, a digitization lab and four single-person study booths.
• The reorganization of the second floor layout.
• The installation of additional electrical outlets.
• The replacement of the wallpaper.
• The creation of a first floor snack lounge with vending machines.
Funds to support the HVAC renovation and replacement of existing lighting were made available through a bond sale. Library Capitol Improvement project money will support all additional improvements.
More public computers coming to Bryant Branch Library
During June, July and August, while HFCL is closed for renovations, public computer access will be available in the Dearborn Area Chamber of Commerce conference room, on the first floor of the Bryant Branch Library. Library staff will provide full-service computing and printing access.
The digitization lab will operate out of the Esper Branch Library beginning June 3.
Bryant Library will become the new temporary pickup and drop off location for MeLCat material for the duration of the HFCL renovation project, although new MeLCat requests will be briefly suspended through June 3.
As a reminder, MeLCat material must be returned to the Circulation Desk at Bryant and not the drop box.
Dearborn Public Library will not be able to accept book donations until the HFCL renovations are completed in the fall. The city recommends donating to the American Association of University Women book barrels inside the Dearborn Ice Skating Center, 14900 Ford Road, or contacting the AAUW at [email protected].
Summer Reading Program 2019
The Summer Reading Program 2019 will run June 17 to July 27 for all ages from babies through adults.
Registration may be made online at dearbornlibrary.org or in person at Bryant or Esper libraries. In addition, each branch will host craft programs, story times and teen programs.
More information and updates
Check the library website regularly here for further updates about the renovation, as well as programming information.