Suspect taken into custody
By SUE SUCHYTA
Sunday Times Herald
Detroit police took a suspect into custody June 5 in the Taylor carjacking-kidnapping-assault of a woman earlier that day at Taylor Bed, Bath and Beyond, 23871 Eureka Road.
A woman, who works at the store, was waiting in her truck about 7:45 a.m., prior to the start of her 8 a.m. shift at the store. She told police she was parked about 200 feet from the door, and saw a man walk past her vehicle who was white, 5 feet 7 inches to 5 feet 9 inches tall and about 170 pounds, wearing a gray hoodie, blue jeans and white shoes.
She said she watched the man pass, then opened her car door to open her umbrella, at which time the man approached her with a black semi-automatic handgun, told her to move over, and entered her truck, a black 2016 Dodge 1500 with chrome wheels.
The man then drove them both to the Super 8 Hotel parking lot, 15101 Huron St. in Taylor, then parked near the fence at the nearby Bob Evans Restaurant, 20465 Eureka. He told her that he needed money from her because his sister had been kidnapped and was being held for $500 ransom. He then took the woman to an ATM in the parking lot at Meijer, 14640 Pardee, where he withdrew $100 cash from her account.
After driving around for a while, the man took Huron Street to its dead end, parked the truck, and told the woman to exit the vehicle. She did, after which the man attempted to strangle her with her cell phone charger cord. She said she passed out, and woke up shortly afterward, lying on the ground in a puddle, and saw the man driving away in her vehicle.
The woman’s cell phone and purse were still in her truck. She said she then ran to nearby Quanta Containers LLC, 15801 Huron St., where employees called 911.
The responding police officers saw the bruising on her neck and ears consistant with an attempted strangulation, and her clothing was wet and muddy. The women declined medical attention. Her pickup vehicle information was entered into the Law Enforcement Information Network as stolen.
Taylor spokesman Karl Ziomek said June 6 that following the suspect’s capture by Detroit police officers, he was in custody, and his name was being withheld pending arraignment.
(Sue Suchyta can be reached at s[email protected])