By RAAD ALAWAN
Special to the Times-Herald
Special to the Sunday Times
Fordson High School has been educating local kids since 1928 and has produced a most impressive roster of alumni, including Marian Ilitch, Mike Adray, Sir Michael Berry, Michael Guido and Brian Mosallam.
Beginning this year, an organization called “Friends of Fordson” will honor a few of the most accomplished Tractors at its inaugural Achievement Hall of Fame. The fundraising dinner takes place Tuesday, May 12, in the Fordson High School Cafeteria.
The idea of an “Achievement Hall” came by chance, Chairman Hussein Berry said.
“I went to a wrestling match at (Macomb) Dakota High School and saw a wall of distinguished graduates,” he said. “Then I thought, ‘Wow! Look at the history we have at Fordson High School.’ We want to celebrate Fordson. So myself and a few others formed ‘Friends of Fordson’ and created this event.
“Bottom line, whatever proceeds come out of this will go toward college scholarships for Fordson kids.”
The inductee list is long and includes a great number of professionals in various fields, including:
• Sir Michael Berry (’38) — First Muslim lawyer in Michigan and longtime chairman of the Wayne County Road Commission. A terminal is also named after him at the Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport.
• Mike Adray (’40) — Founder of Adray Appliance, philanthropist and sponsored Little League and adult teams for decades.
• William Brehm (’47) — Former chairman of SRA International; donated $44 million to the University of Michigan Health System; was also assistant Secretary of Defense under Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford.
• Marian Ilitch (’50) — Founder and owner of Little Caesars Pizza, Motor City Casino, the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Tigers.
• Gino Polidori (’60) — Michigan’s current 15th District representative.
• Michael Guido (’72) — Mayor of Dearborn from 1986-06; United States Conference of Mayors president in 2006.
• Thomas Anastos (’81) — Montreal Canadians hockey player and four-time letter winner at Michigan State University, former hockey coach at University of Michigan-Dearborn and current commissioner of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association.
• Mike Iaquaniello (’86) — Michigan State quarterback, Miami Dolphins quarterback.
• Charlene Elder (’87) — First Muslim female of the United States to hold a judicial position. She was appointed to the Wayne County 3rd Circuit Court in 2006.
• Fouad Zaban (’88) — Current Fordson High School football head coach, tied school record with 12 wins in 2008, Fordson running back, Grand Valley State University.
• Brian Mosallam (’93) — Fordson High School All-State lineman and Michigan State University offensive lineman from 1993-96.
To purchase tickets for this event, call Hussein Berry at (313) 580-8007 or Vito Antonazzo at (815) 325-4855.