DEARBORN, Mich. – Senior citizens are invited to participate in the following events held at the Senior Center located inside Dearborn’s Ford Community & Performing Arts Center (15801 Michigan Avenue, corner of Greenfield Road).
· Glenn Miller Orchestra Dinner and Show on Oct. 17 – The big band era lives on as the world famous Glenn Miller Orchestra takes the stage at the Michael A. Guido Theater in The Center on Saturday, Oct. 17. Enjoy a delicious chicken dinner in The Center’s Hubbard Ballroom and tickets to the show for $44 per person. For more information and to make reservations, call 313.943.2319.
· Detroit Historical Society “Unique Street Names” presentation on Sept. 30 – The Detroit Historical Society will make a presentation entitled “Unique Street Names: The Man on the Street (and Women, too!)” on Wednesday, Sept. 30, at 10:30 a.m. This unique presentation uses everyday street sign names to explore the 300 years of Detroit’s history. A $1 donation will be collected at the door. Registration is required; call 313.943.2412 to register.
· Chair Exercise Class – This popular class series will resume its Monday and Friday schedule starting Monday, Sept. 14, at 10 a.m. Enjoy the benefits of toning, stretching and cardiovascular workouts. The fee is $5 per month for each class. For details, call 313.943.3342.
· Arthritis Exercise Class – This class meets every Wednesday at 10 a.m. Enjoy gentile, joint-safe exercises developed specifically for people with arthritis. The movements will help relieve stiffness and decrease arthritis pain. The low-impact class can be taken either sitting or standing. The fee is $7 per month. Advance registration is required. To register, call 313.943.3342.
· Senior Swim Classes – Senior swim classes start on Monday, Sept. 14. Classes will meet on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9 a.m. and 10 a.m., and Tuesday and Thursday at 9:30 am. Register in advance, as class sizes are limited. To register, call 313.943.3342.
· Driver Safety Program – AARP and Dearborn Senior Services present a classroom driver safety program for drivers 50 years of age and older. It takes place on Wednesday and Thursday, Sept. 23-24, from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The cost of the two-day class for AARP members is $12 and for non-members is $14. Payment must be submitted when registering. Make checks and money orders payable to AARP. Participants must attend both sessions to receive a certificate of completion. Registration is limited to 16 people. For information, call 313.943.2412.
· Plant Exchange – Have you been looking for a particular plant? You may be able to find it at the Senior Center’s Plant Exchange. It happens on Thursday, Sept. 24, at 10:30 a.m. Stop by with your plants and trade with others. For $1.50 you may purchase a hot dog, chips, lemonade or ice tea. Please pre-register by calling 313.943.2412.
· Senior Walking Club – Walk your way to good health. The Senior Walking Club meets every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at The Center. Check-in is from 1 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Walk the indoor track from 1:30 to 3 p.m. Members set personal goals and record mileage. Membership is open to Dearborn senior citizens. Members pay $1 per person for each visit; Center passholders are free. For details, call 313.943.2412.
* * * * *
MEDIA CONTACT: Mary Laundroche or Randy Coble, at (313) 943-2285
senior events 20 aug 2009