By CHRIS JACKETT
Sunday Times Newspapers
MELVINDALE – A 14-year-old girl has accused four teenage boys of sexually assaulting her at a hotel Oct. 2 after the high school’s homecoming dance.
The girl, a Melvindale High School freshman, came in to the police station with her father Oct. 3 and said four boys had sex with her the previous night during a homecoming dance after-party at Comfort Inn & Suites, 17600 Dix Road.
She told police she was awake, but unable to resist. She also said other teens reportedly walked in on the nonconsensual act, but didn’t stop it, and that alcohol was involved.
Three of the four accused boys have been taken into police custody since the incident, Police Chief Rick Cadez said.
A 17-year-old former Melvindale resident who now lives in Detroit was released Wednesday afternoon after being held for most of the 72-hour maximum holding period for someone not being charged. A pair of 16-year-old Detroit residents were taken into custody Monday and Tuesday, and both could be kept in custody for five days without charges.
The fourth suspect, an 18-year-old whose last known address is in Southfield, has yet to contact police, Cadez said.
“We’re waiting at this point for charges to be brought,” he said. “The Police Department gets the reports and turns (them) over to the prosecutor, who makes a determination. It doesn’t make any sense to bring them in if charges aren’t brought. Nothing has officially been charged.”
The boys were expected to be arraigned Wednesday, but they had not been charged as of Friday morning. Police said details of the investigation still are being analyzed.
The 17-year-old and one of the 16-year-olds are Melvindale High student-athletes on the football team. The 17-year-old is a two-sport athlete, according to his attorney, Robert Mullen.
Melvindale Principal Shannon Luppino sent a letter home with students last week urging parents to talk with their children about what they hear, what they know and how they feel about the situation, as well as the dangers of alcohol and drugs.
“The health and safety of our students and staff is our top priority,” Luppino said in the letter. “We have been cooperating with the Police Department while they are conducting their investigation and are providing them with any information they request.”
Cadez said Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy is looking over information surrounding the investigation before deciding what charges, if any, will be made against four suspects.
Additionally, charges could be brought against the adults who allegedly purchased alcohol for the minors and rented the hotel room for the after-party, which more than 15 people attended.