By JAMES MITCHELL
Sunday Times Newspapers
LINCOLN PARK — A woman who made international headlines for allegations that she collected food stamps after winning a $1 million lottery prize will reportedly offer restitution to the state after her arraignment in circuit court next month.
Amanda Clayton last week waived a scheduled preliminary examination of the evidence against her before 25th District Court Judge Michael Ciungan. Clayton was charged last month by Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette with two felony counts of welfare fraud.
Allegedly, Clayton continued collecting state assistance after appearing on the Michigan Lottery “Make Me Rich!” TV show in September 2011. Clayton took the lump-sum prize of $735,000.
Schuette said that Clayton continued collecting $200 monthly in food assistance with a Bridge card, received medical assistance and did not report her lottery winnings.
Since Clayton’s case captured local and national attention, the Michigan legislature amended state law requiring lottery winners to report earnings of more than $1,000.
Clatyon’s attorney reportedly said that discussions with the attorney general’s office continue, and that Clayton will reimburse the state for benefits collected after winning the lottery prize.
Clayton is scheduled to be arraigned on information at Wayne County Circuit Court June 5.
(James Mitchell can be reached at [email protected])