
Serein Baseti, the sister of Rawan Baseti, is comforted by her father at a press conference on March 21, where Dearborn officials and Crime Stoppers announced a $20,000 reward for information in the Feb. 21 fatal shooting incident that killed her 19-year-old sister.

DEARBORN — City officials announced today a $20,000 cash reward for information that leads to arrests and charges in the Feb. 21 fatal shooting of 19-year-old Rawan Baseti on the city’s east side.
Mayor Abdullah Hammoud joined Police Chief Issa Shahin to announce the $20,000 reward at a news conference at the Police Department. The victim’s family, including her brother, Hani Baseti, and Dan DiBardino, president of Crime Stoppers of Michigan, participated in the press conference.
Those with information are asked to contact the Police Department at 313-943-2225. Anonymous tips may be submitted through Crime Stoppers by calling 1-800-SPEAKUP.
“Rawan was a daughter, a sister, but also a daughter to this community,” Hammoud said. “Her life was taken far too soon. The commitment of this city and this police department is to deploy every resource and asset we have to bring the perpetrators to justice. This is an opportunity to bring closure to this family.”
“Rawan was a cherished member of our community whose life was tragically taken in a senseless act of violence,” Shahin said. “If anyone has information, no matter how small, it could be the key that we need to solve this case and bring (the) suspect to justice. I am confident that someone out there has some information that (could help) us solve this case. Rawan and her family deserve justice.”
Chief Shahin thanked the reward sponsors — J&T Crova Towing, the Islamic Center of Detroit, and Rod Issa and Sons — all of whom contributed to the increased financial reward. Crime Stoppers of Michigan will contribute to and administer the reward.
“We know that somebody is well aware of what happened with this particular event and we are asking that you please come forward,” DiBardino said. “We need you to pick up the phone and call 1-800-SPEAKUP. I guarantee you, as the president of Crime Stoppers of Michigan, you will remain anonymous.”
“Rawan was beautiful inside and out,” Hani Baseti said. “To say that my family and I are devastated or heartbroken is an understatement. Losing Rawan broke us. We urge anyone who’s seen or heard anything to speak up so that my beautiful baby sister can get the rest she deserves.”
About 9:45 p.m. Feb. 21 police officers responded to the intersection of Tireman Avenue and West Morrow Circle in east Dearborn following reports of shots fired at a vehicle. Police believed the incident followed a traffic altercation that occurred earlier in the evening near Warren Avenue and the Southfield Freeway.
Reports indicated a white 2015 Chrysler 200 cutting off a black 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee being driven by Rawan Baseti. Baseti then followed the Chrysler onto Tireman and Southfield Service Drive, in what police believe was an effort to obtain the license plate information for the vehicle.
As the vehicles reached the intersection of Tireman and West Morrow Circle, the suspect vehicle turned north onto Cheyenne Street into Detroit and fired several gunshots at Baseti’s vehicle. One of the bullets entered the vehicle through the windshield, fatally striking Baseti.
Police pronounced the victim dead upon arrival. Two female passengers in Baseti’s vehicle were found physically unharmed following the incident.
Although an investigation led police to apprehend multiple suspects, they are asking the public for any and all information that can help secure charges against those involved.