Photo courtesy of Margaux & Associates, LLC
The 11 winners of 2014 Dearborn Rotary Club Otto J. Rowen Scholarships are: Scott Salwa (front row left), Hussain Jamel, Nour Berro, Emily Clem, Ithar Alsarraf, Nicole Veach, Mohammad Zeeshan, Sheila Imamovic (back row left), Jakub Priest, Joshua Walker and Traye Schoettmer.
DEARBORN – Eleven Dearborn Public Schools seniors were awarded Rotary Club of Dearborn Otto J. Rowen Scholarships recently.
Each year, the club, through the Dearborn Rotary Foundation, honors DPS seniors in up to 16 categories of vocational disciplines. Candidates are selected for scholarships of $1,500 each.
The scholarships honor Rowen, a former Dearborn Rotarian, who was an industrial arts teacher at Fordson High School and later became principal at Woodworth Junior High School in 1928. In his estate, Rowen established a fund to assist career technical education students and special education students.
Scholarship recipients are selected as the best representatives of each vocational area, demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in their chosen vocation, show potential for future success in their field, and are recommended by their vocational instructors. The scholarship funds may be used for classes, tuition, books, school fees and specialized equipment needed for the related vocational program for each student. Students who are not planning to attend college or pursue additional formalized training can use the money for equipment needed in their fields.
Eleven high school seniors received scholarships at this year’s 26th annual Otto J. Rowen Awards banquet in May:
• Hussain Jamel from Dearborn High for Automotive, instructor Victor Gregory.
• Jakub Priest from Edsel Ford for Automotive, instructor Victor Gregory.
• Scott Salwa from Fordson for Automotive, instructor Mark Kent.
• Emily Clem from Edsel Ford and Michael Berry for Culinary Arts, instructor Ele Shepherd.
• Ithar Alsarraf from Dearborn and Michael Berry for Health Occupations, instructor Tina Ramos-Craig.
• Sheila Imamovic from Dearborn and Michael Berry for Health Occupations, instructor Tina Ramos-Craig
• Mohammad Zeeshan from Fordson and Michael Berry for Health Occupations, instructor Tina Ramos-Craig.
• Traye Schoettmer from Edsel Ford and Michael Berry for Information Technology, instructor John Bayeri.
• Nicole Veach from Dearborn High for Marketing Education, instructor Sherry Harakas.
• Joshua Walker from Dearborn High for Video Production, instructor Kurt Doelle.
• Nour Berro from Dearborn High for Welding Technology, instructor Victor Gregory.
Rotarian and DPS Supt. Brian J. Whiston spoke at the event. Winifred Green, principal of Michael Berry Career Center, and Jason Canfield, career technical education coordinator, assisted with presenting the awards. Rotarian Maureen Guevara chaired the event attended by Rotarians, students, parents, administrators, instructors and Board of Education members.
Future endeavors for the honorees include collision shop owner, aviation mechanic, auto mechanic, chef, oncologist, surgeon, doctor, business manager for a large company, marketing and sales person, video editor and cosmetic dentist. Schools they will attend include Henry Ford College; University of Michigan, Ann Arbor and Dearborn; Wayne State University; Schoolcraft College; Madonna University, Michigan Institute of Aviation & Technology; and Northwood University.
For information about the Rowan scholarship and others, go to www.dearbornrotary.org.