• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • About
    • Letter to the Editor
    • Newsstand Locations
    • Contact Us
  • Classifieds
    • View Classifieds Online
    • Classified Rates
  • Advertise
  • Subscribe

Times-Herald and Sunday Times Newspapers

  • Home
  • News
  • Editorial
  • Police Blotter
  • Tempo
  • Lifestyle
    • Bridal
    • Food
    • Home Works
    • Home Improvement
    • Home & Lifestyle
    • Lawn & Garden
    • Savvy Senior
    • Sports
  • Special Sections
    • Chamber Chatter
    • Higher Education
    • Homecoming

Lawsuit claims 5 Taylor police officers used excessive force during traffic stop

September 17, 2021 By Times-Herald Newspapers Leave a Comment

Photo courtesy of the Taylor Police Department

By ZEINAB NAJM
Sunday Times Newspapers

TAYLOR — A lawsuit filed by Imani Ringgold-D’Abell and La’Shanna Taylor accuses five Taylor police officers of using excessive force while conducting a traffic stop in September 2019.

The city and police officers Jeffrey Adamisin, Nicholas Sellitti, Anthony Paredes, Thomas Haverlock and James Pilchak were named in the lawsuit filed Sept. 10 in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan Southern Division.

Taylor Communications & Marketing Director Karl Ziomek said the city has no comment and usually does not comment on lawsuits.

In the lawsuit, the couple was taking their 3-year-old daughter to a dentist appointment when they were pulled over for a traffic violation.

Ringgold-D’Abell had a temporary paper driver’s license while he awaited the permanent replacement that had not yet arrived and the temporary tag on his car had detached during a car wash, the lawsuit said.

Ringgold-D’Abell recently had moved from Illinois to be closer to Taylor’s family and purchased a used Audi SUV to drive in Michigan and received a temporary registration permit that would expire Sept. 27, 2019, the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit explained that Ringgold-D’Abell lost his driver’s license so he ordered a replacement for the physical license from the Illinois Department of Motor Vehicles. He was issued a temporary paper driver’s license to use in conjunction with a photocopy of his original license for identification until the permanent card arrived in the mail.

“But in lieu of accepting documentation and an explanation from Mr. Ringgold- D’Abell, who is a young black man, Defendant Lieutenant Jeffrey Adamisin decided to arrest him, even after the officer had already confirmed that Mr. Ringgold-D’Abell’s vehicle was in fact registered to him” the lawsuit read.

Four other police officers arrived to assist with Ringgold-D’Abell’s arrest for being without a permanent hard copy of his driver’s license. Ringgold-D’Abell allegedly was removed from his vehicle to arrest him and the events escalated to violence, the lawsuit said.

“Mr. Ringgold-D’Abell — encircled by the officers who far outnumbered him — was ultimately Tased multiple times and suffered blows to his body, including an officer’s punches to his stomach while another held his torso in place,” the lawsuit said.

Taylor exited the vehicle when she was pushed back into the passenger seat and her arms were restrained, the lawsuit claimed.

“Ms. Taylor, exclaiming concern for her child, was handcuffed and put in a police car, while her daughter remained in the vehicle alone,” the lawsuit said.

Ringgold-D’Abell was arrested and charged with traffic violations and the misdemeanor offense of interference with police authority.

“In support of the latter charge, officers falsely claimed in police reports that Mr. Ringgold-D’Abell had been actively resisting arrest,” the lawsuit read.

A search of Ringgold-D’Abell’s vehicle revealed only candy which was bring sold for a fundraiser for his daughter, according to the lawsuit.

The couple’s daughter was alone in the vehicle for about 10 minutes before Taylor was released and able to comfort her.

Ringgold-D’Abell was issued citations by Adamisin for speeding, lacking proof of insurance, a registration and/or plate violation, failing to display a valid license, and interfering with police authority.

The lawsuit said that Ringgold-D’Abell was booked into the Taylor Police Department’s jail, where he spent three days before posting bond and being released on pretrial conditions.

According to the lawsuit, Taylor police officers — including many of those involved in the assaults against Ringgold-D’Abell and Taylor —have routinely used excessive force in the past, particularly against people of color.

“Yet the City of Taylor has a custom of acquiescing to this practice and failed adequately to train and supervise its officers on the constitutional use of force,” the lawsuit read.

(Zeinab Najm can be reached at [email protected].)

Filed Under: Stories, Taylor

Primary Sidebar




Search

Archives

Copyright © 2026 · Times Herald and Sunday Times Newspapers · website hosting by ixpubs.com · Log in