Sunday Times Newspapers
TAYLOR — The Wayne County Prosector announced charges against a male student at Trillium Academy in another school threat Dec. 17.
Threats have been on the rise since the fatal shooting last month at Oxford High School which left four dead.
Details on what the threat was were not given, but Wayne County Prosector Kym Worthy charged the student in the case which involved alleged threats of violence against the school.
The formal charge listed is intentional threat to commit an act of violence against a school, school employees or students.
The student’s bond was set at $500 and a pre-trial court date is set for 8:30 a.m. Dec. 23 in front of Wayne County Circuit Court Referee Sean Kerman, according to a press release from the Wayne County Prosector’s Office. The student is presumed innocent unless proven guilty.
Another incident occurred within the Taylor School District where Taylor police investigated a threatening image that circulated in the high school Dec. 15.
A message posted to parents from Supt. Griff Mills said the district worked all afternoon and evening with police, who conducted a thorough investigation of staff, students and the leads presented to them.
“The image that was circulated was generic in nature and made no reference to Taylor High School or any other school in the Taylor School District,” the message said. “Moreover, law enforcement has not discovered any evidence or images during its investigation which are specific to Taylor High School or any other school building in our district.”
According to the message, a student brought the incident to the attention of administration which allowed the district to immediately begin working with police before the image was sent to more students.
Schools in the district remained open for in-person learning Dec. 16 following an investigation by police and the information presented to the district.
“As always, if you have any information related to threats made at our school, please bring them to the attention of our staff,” Mills wrote. “It is important we are provided information quickly so that we can act accordingly. Please stress to your children the importance of talking with staff about threats that they may see or hear, whether or not they think they are serious.”
Mills thanked the Police Department for their quick response and thorough investigation into this incident and said any new information received will be be shared with students, their parents and staff as soon as possible.
(Zeinab Najm can be reached at [email protected].)
