Sunday Times Newspapers
SOUTHGATE — A couch fire in a room at Staybridge Suites, 12600 Reeck Road on the afternoon of Feb. 12 initiated a visit from the fire department.
The room’s occupant said he was in the bathroom brushing his teeth when he detected the smell of smoke. When he went into the main room, he noticed the couch was on fire. When he ran into the hall to get a fire extinguisher, he accidentally locked himself out of the room.
Southgate firefighters extinguished the blaze, which was judged to be of indeterminate cause but not arson.