• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • About
    • Letter to the Editor
    • Newsstand Locations
    • Contact Us
  • Classifieds
    • View Classifieds Online
    • Classified Rates
  • Advertise
  • Subscribe

Times-Herald and Sunday Times Newspapers

  • Home
  • News
  • Editorial
  • Police Blotter
  • Tempo
  • Lifestyle
    • Bridal
    • Food
    • Home Works
    • Home Improvement
    • Home & Lifestyle
    • Lawn & Garden
    • Savvy Senior
    • Sports
  • Special Sections
    • Chamber Chatter
    • Higher Education
    • Homecoming

Dearborn announces citywide decline in major crime

January 24, 2025 By Times-Herald Newspapers Leave a Comment

Photo by Sue Suchyta
Dearborn Mayor Abdullah Hammoud (at podium) speaks about a citywide decline in major crime during a Jan. 22 press conference held in the west lobby of the Dearborn Administrative Center, as City Council President Michael Sareini (left) and Police Chief Issa Shahin listen.

 

By SUE SUCHYA

Times-Herald Newspapers

DEARBORN – City officials announced a 7 percent decline in major crime and said its police department was fully staffed during a Jan. 22 press conference at the Dearborn Administrative Center.

Signs displayed throughout the lobby proclaimed that for the 2024 calendar year Dearborn experienced a 35 percent decrease in home invasions, a 30 percent decrease in burglaries, a 25 percent decrease in robberies and a 22 percent decrease in vehicle thefts.

The Police Department responded to 86,372 calls for service, with 188 police officers on duty, noting the department is fully staffed and funded.

Photo by Sue Suchyta
Dearborn Police Chief Issa Shahin (at podium) speaks about a citywide decline in major crime during a Jan. 22 press conference held in the west lobby of the Dearborn Administrative Center, as Mayor Abdullah Hammoud listens.

Eight new police recruits were present as Mayor Abdullah Hammoud, Police Chief Issa Shahin and City Council President Michael Sareini spoke during the press conference.

Hammoud said the city has experienced double-digit significant drops in major crimes, with retail crime decreasing 11 percent.

He credited part of the success to his administration’s commitment to ensuring that the Police Department is fully staffed and fully funded.

Shahin said the numbers are more than statistics, and symbolize progress in protecting residents, their families and their homes.

He said the 7 percent reduction in major crime last year is a testament to the dedication of the department’s officers, strong community partnerships and the effective use of the department’s resources.

“This success did not happen by chance, but is the result of a focused, deliberate strategy that combined cutting edge technology and proactive, community-based policing,” Shahin said.

He also credited investment in tools like drones and license plate reading cameras.

Shahin said the Police Department’s commitment to public safety moves beyond the use of technology and includes strong relationships within the community.

Sareini said residents value safety and security, and he credited an innovative drive-along program, which provided council members with an opportunity to witness what the city’s police officers experience, with reinforcing the council’s commitment to providing for the police department’s needs.

Photo by Sue Suchyta
Eight new Dearborn police recruits are joined by Police Chief Issa Shahin (left), Mayor Abdullah Hammoud (second from right) and City Council President Michael Sareini following a Jan. 22 press conference announcing a citywide decline in major crime held in the west lobby of the Dearborn Administrative Center.

Filed Under: Allen Park, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Featured Categories, Melvindale, Police Blotter, Stories, Sue Suchyta

Primary Sidebar




Search

Archives

Copyright © 2026 · Times Herald and Sunday Times Newspapers · website hosting by ixpubs.com · Log in