• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • About
    • Letter to the Editor
    • Newsstand Locations
    • Contact Us
  • Classifieds
    • View Classifieds Online
    • Classified Rates
  • Advertise
  • Subscribe

Times-Herald and Sunday Times Newspapers

  • Home
  • News
  • Editorial
  • Police Blotter
  • Tempo
  • Lifestyle
    • Bridal
    • Food
    • Home Works
    • Home Improvement
    • Home & Lifestyle
    • Lawn & Garden
    • Savvy Senior
    • Sports
  • Special Sections
    • Chamber Chatter
    • Higher Education
    • Homecoming

Taylor City Council renews Big League Brews business license, reversing mayor’s suspension

August 22, 2025 By Times-Herald Newspapers Leave a Comment

Photo by Sue Suchyta
The Taylor City Council approves the renewal of the Big League Brews business license effective Aug. 20, reversing the mayor’s suspension of the license, during its Aug. 19 meeting.

 

By SUE SUCHYTA

Sunday Times Newspapers

TAYLOR – The City Council renewed Big League Brews’ business license Aug. 19, reversing the mayor’s move last month to suspend it following a shooting and other police responses to the location.

Councilmember Angie Winton said Big League Brews has taken action to add additional security personnel to combat some issues.

She said she recognizes that there have been a lot of incidents at the business as well as police calls, and she recognizes that police officers attempt to resolve issues with patrons peacefully.

Winton said she didn’t disagree with Mayor Tim Woolley taking action to address a problem, but she also acknowledged that the bar has taken steps to combat the problem, and said she realizes the business is popular with local patrons.

“I wish them the very best, and I do commend them for taking the measures and I hope they will solve some of these issues,” she said.

Winton said she doesn’t believe that businesses should be held responsible for incidents that occur in the parking lot.

She recognized that police officers were aware of issues at the bar but did not cite the business for them.

Councilmember Charley Johnson said he did not disagree with the mayor’s original action, but after meeting with the business owner and Police Chief John Blair, he is satisfied that conditions will improve.

Councilmember Jill Brandana said she was pleased that all parties have worked together to achieve a better result.

Woolley said he is pleased by the actions that Big League Brews has taken to improve security at the location, but he still holds firm in support of his original decision.

Blair said he has had lengthy discussions with the ownership team, and he has seen steps being taken on both sides to improve conditions at the business.

He said the business team and the Police Department have acknowledged areas of improvement to avoid future situations.

Blair said the owners are transitioning the establishment to a sports bar, they have terminated some of their employees, and they have banned patrons who were causing problems.

He said the business also will have security personnel inside and outside the building.

Blair said police officers will continue to monitor the situation at other city bars as well.

“We will continue to work with all the businesses as well as you to make this a nice, safe environment and also to promote local businesses,” he said.

Filed Under: Police Blotter, Stories, Sue Suchyta, Taylor

Primary Sidebar




Search

Archives

Copyright © 2026 · Times Herald and Sunday Times Newspapers · website hosting by ixpubs.com · Log in